The Designated Emphasis in the Study of Religion (DESR) is pleased to announce our spring 2023 courses that count towards the core and elective requirements for the DE. These courses reflect the interdisciplinary breadth of the DESR, with core and elective options in South & Southeast Asian Studies, Comparative Literature/German, History, Public Health, Buddhist Studies, Jewish Studies, Anthropology, and Social Welfare.
For more information on spring courses, full course descriptions, and the curricular requirements of the DESR, please visit our courses page.
SPRING 2023 CORE COURSES
- SSEASN 250 | Debates in Ancient South Asia History and Religion (STRELIG 200) | Luther J Obrock
- COMLIT 250/GERMAN 256 | Forming Perception Poetically: Analogy, Allegory, Symbolism (STRELIG 200) | Niklaus E Largier
- HISTORY 280B | The Invention of Religion in Early Modern Europe (STRELIG 201) | Ethan H Shagan
SPRING 2023 ELECTIVE COURSES
- HISTORY 280F/HISTORY 285F | Caste, Religion, and Tradition in Indian Society: An Anthropological History | Janaki Bakhle
- PBHLTH 281 | Public Health and Spirituality | Douglas W Oman
- SASIAN C215/BUDDSTD C215 | Readings in Indian Buddhist Texts | Alexander Von Rospatt
- JEWISH 290/HISTORY 280B | History of Jewish Law and Ritual | Ethan Benjamin Katz, Francesco Spagnolo
- ANTHRO 250X | The Enigma of Authority | Daena Funahashi
- SOCWELL 250M | Death and Dying | Eveline S Chang